World Cup 2009 in Europe
In the year 2009 “Europe” has been host of the IBAF World Cup. For the first time in history the World Cup was not given to a certain country but to a whole continent. Seven European countries were hosts (and therefore participants) of the tournament which included 22 teams in total. The World Cup took place from September 9th-27th 2009.
- Demonstrate the Global strength of Baseball across Europe
- Bring attention to the sport of Baseball to European sport leaders
- Return Baseball to the Olympic program
- The 1st Round (9th-12th Sept) was hosted by Spain (Barcelona), Czech Republic (Prague), Germany (Regensburg), Russia (Moscow) and Sweden (Stockholm) with 22 participating teams
- The 2nd Round (14th-20th Sept) was hosted by the Netherlands (Rotterdam, Haarlem, Amsterdam) and Italy (Milano, Torino, Rimini, Parma, Piacenza, Codogno, Bollate, Bologna, San Marino, Verona, Vicenza, Trieste, Firenze, Macerata, Reggio Emilia) with 16 participating teams
- The Final Round (22nd-27th Sept) was hosted by Italy (Grosseto, Nettuno, Anzio, Matino, Caserta, Messina, Palermo, Rome) with 8 participating teams
For more information on the 2009 IBAF Baseball World Cup, please visit www.2009baseballworldcup.com.